String breakage

DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 00:38:44 EDT

<< What I can't figure out is that during the pitch pull
 to +3c before the tuning everything was fine ( except, of course how well
 those two tuning pins held ).  The puzzle - at least to me - is that
 after bringing the piano all the way up nothing broke - however, when I
 loosened one of the bad pins to remove the wire so I could replace the
 pin with an oversized one, the wire broke.  I am not talking about an
 enormous amount of turning, but rather something like less than 5 degrees
 of arc.  Any rational behind this?  Your input is - as per usual - very
 appreciated.
 	ps.  I have seen this happen a few times before, but have never
 been able to figure out the why of it.

                           John Fortiner

Strings break for almost no reason at all. Today I tuned a newer Samick that I
service every six months and C-88 broke.  The age of the strings may have
something to do with it.  With string fatigue and just moving the coil and
becket may just be all it needed to do a whamy on you.

For what its worth.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR