S&S "ruined" ??

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 02:36:07 -0500

 >While I
>wouldn't agree that it's "ruined", it is no longer authentic and >in a
>sense, no longer a whole "Steinway" even if touted as such.

I think the realities of the market must not be forgotten. Just as you
indicate about your Gibson, such a market exists for Steinways. All
conditions apply. Aren't you glad your guitar in pieces is not a 1973
model?
	To state that a Steinway is no longer "authentic"
because replacements parts are not from Steinway is a bit misleading,
unless you are authorized by Steinway to say that.    If Steinway  wants
to  put conditions on instruments that have long since left the factory,
and the warranty expired, that is their business. Even if they did, I
don't know  how that would effect the value of repaired or rebuilt
instruments.  Each one has its own set of conditions.  "Authenticity" I
haven't known to be of major concern.  "It isn't a Steinway unless Genuine
Steinway Parts are used" is not a valid concern of a techincal evualation.
Who really is qualified to say what parts are "Genuine", and other parts
not? It is my understanding that Steinway sometimes has made their own
parts and sometimes bought parts parts from different places over the
years.
	Unless things change, the most highly regarded aspect of a Steinway piano
is its value as a musical instrument, not if there are Genuine parts or
not. There is of course a value for original conditon or original parts.
In the end it is the quality of parts, not whether they are official,
that still count the most, among  musicians, owners and  technicians.
	I don't know what I would do if some company said the piano I worked on
would be worth less because I didn't use their parts. But I would
certainly want  clients and prospective buyers to know this.   There are
three or four sources of "Steinway style" parts?  I want to have a free
and  equitable choice.  If I choose genuine Steinway so be it.

I would love to order up up iron wrapped bass strings from Steinway.  I
hope I could put them in another piano.  Could I advertize this piano has
genuine Steinway bass strings?? Even if they jobbed it out to Mapes?

Richard Moody