Keytop Adhesives

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:56:20 +0000

I also use the 3M spray glues.  I use both the #77 and the high
strength #90.  I found out that the #90 will etch the keytop if
it gets on it so I use the #77 for spraying the bottom of the
keytop and the #90 for the key.  I use an old box into which the
overspray goes for the keys and I line up two octaves of keytops
B to C on the bench w/paper and spray them all at once.  If
after spraying I immediately move the keytops to a clean piece
of paper they won't stick to whats under them when I install to
keys.  Hand pressure fitted and then into a table clamp for a
few seconds.  I use keytops from Schaff/Pianotek with fronts.  I
just saw a set of keytops from Yvonne Ashmore in the Sacramento
Area and she does a great job...they look like Kluge...they even
have the keytop end (under the fallboard) beveled.  Very nice!

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> From:          Wimblees@aol.com
> Date:          Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:29:28 EDT
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: Keytop Adhesives

> << Does anyone know of a good, non-toxic keytop adhesive? I have always used
>  Weldwood contact cement in the past with good results. Even with good
>  ventilation though, just 5 minutes of smelling that stuff turns me into the
>  poster boy for adolescent sniffing abuse. I have a good 3/4 mask but is not
>  very comfortable for that long a time. I tried the Elmers blue non-toxic
>  contact cement but it doesn't seem to hold as good. >>
>

> I use 3m spray adheasive. This is rubber cement in a spray can. To me it
> doesn't have a bad smell.
>
> Willem Blees RPT
> St. Louis

David Ilvedson, RPT