matchiing key color

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 13:44:50 +0000

> If you decide to do your own keytop-replacement work (and I hope you do)
> SAVE the old salvagable keytops you remove from each, individual key-
> board in their own clear, resealable plastic bag. They will prove invalu-
> able in the future when you are faced with having to match up  colors
> when replacing individual keytops on old pianos.

Thats a good tip.  I have been saving my ivories for years and
have a good supply but I'm afraid their all in a jumble in my
ivory repair tool box.  Saving each keyboards salvagable ivories
will be, within reason, fairly similar and a quick look at the
plastic bags will get you in the ballpark when matching.

Les, or List...I know there are several types, grades of ivory
that were used.  What I don't know is what what considered the
prime ivory, what was low quality etc.  If anyone has any info
on the ivory trade and ways to distinquish one kind of ivory
with another I'd be very appreciative.

> Really and truly lastly, if you go through all the trouble of taking a
> sample keytop to someone else, or send one to Roger so he can match the
> color for you, charge the customer accordingly. The difference between a
> keytop which matches the color of the other 51 and one which doesn't is
> HUGE. You deserve to be WELL-paid for you efforts.

Also consider a fair price for the matched ivory would be nice!

> Les Smith

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@jps.net