humidity+pinblock work

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:53:25 EDT

<< Hello Wim et all

 I have not had the oportunity to work with delignit boards ( what are they
 made of or what treatment they use, is it against humidity ? ) but normaly
 in Caracas, we have a very high degree of humidity all year round, and I had
 problems some years ago, every time I changed tunning board for a piano that
 was from out of the city I had problems.

 I conditioned a room with a couple of dehumidifiers ( the ones that collect
 the watter in a collector and work simmilar to an air coditioner, ) They are
 sert to keep the room at 38% relative humidity. Since then all the works
 have been excellent.

 Elian Degen
 Piano Tuner and Technician
 Caracas, Venezuela  degen@telcel.net.ve >>

Delignet blocks are made of hard rock maple, but they are multi laminate.
Instead of the normal 5 - 7 layers, Delignet blocks have 15 or so layers in a
1 1/2" thickness.
My therory is that if pin block become useless because one layer of wood
cracks, if there were only 5 layers, and one cracked, one would loose 20% of
the gripping power. With a multilaminated block like delignet, if one layer
craks, there are lots of othe layers left to support the pin.

The presumed draw back of a Delignet block is that there is too much glue in
the block. This might be true, and when trimming a delignet block, chissels,
routers, and planers do get duller faster. But the upside is longer lasting
block.

On a side note, I have repairs built in blocks with epoxy, where the pin is
leterraly encased in epoxy. Although the torque on a pin set in epoxy does
feel a little different, it hold the string, which is the purpose of the whole
thing.

Since epoxy doesn't crack, nor is it suseptible to humidty or even water, I
have often wondered what would happen if a whole pin block was made out of an
epoxy type material. The cost would be much higher, but if the expoxy could be
poored onto the plate, and then drilled, the block would last indefinately.
Any thoughts on this?

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis