where do the broken needles go?

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:09:19 -0500 (CDT)

List,

   There was a similar discussion on the piano list a couple of years or
so ago. Discussions about all the various colds, etc. brought in by the
teachers' students and then the next student (or the teacher) catching it.
   I believe the general consensus was that a lot of the teachers washed
their hands frequently and a lot also had the students wash his/her hands
before beginning the lesson.
   Many also cleaned their piano keys frequently.

Avery

><< Are we at risk of contracting AIDS if someone who is HIV positive was
> just using the piano before us and we stab ourselves?  What about
> hepatitus and other things?  I know since I started washing my hands
> after each piano, I've been sick less.
>
> -Mike Jorgensen
>  >>

>As far as AIDS is ocnerened, there is no risk. The aids virus cannot live
>outside the human body. As far as the other deseases, I don't know. But I
>always try to wash my hands after tuning a piano. You can see and even smell
>the germs on some of those keys.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston