matchiing key color, and the "right" glue

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:44:14 -0500

Unless the piano is worth more than $1000 the fake ivories from Schaff or
APSCO # 361019  (p. 43) are sometimes amazing matches.  I have placed them
on keyboards for demonstration and "lost" them to myself and client.  A
word of warning that windows that "filter" light or are tinted may cause
them to look diff than in natural light.  Less ultraviolet I am assuming.
	The glue for these and molded plastic keytops I am leaning toward Goop.
The down side to Goop is its odor.  PVC-e is  messy because you need to
use too much, it must squeeze out but not too much or it really doesn't
hold tight, and even then  it does not fare well in the pull test. Then
you gotta scrap it off.   Goop   is the strongest I have come across by
far.  Even stronger than the glues the supply houses sell for gluing down
plastic tops.
Goop can be used like contact cement or like conventional glue.  It grabs
from the get go, but positioning can be done, and the positioning actually
aids in spreading the glue.  With a little practice clamping is not
necessary. No ozzing out, and it does not mar the keytop if it accidently
gets there.
	I have only been using it for a year so if I hear of failures this list
will be the second to know.

Richard Moody