need help w/Baldwin Grand noise

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 08:17:04 -0500 (CDT)

At 11:35 PM 9/17/98 EDT, you wrote:
>I service a 1992 Baldwin 6'3" model L. There is a very stubborn pinging or
>sizzling sound in several keys in the tenor right next to the tenor treble
>break that I cannot seem to get rid of. I've tried the usual things like
>pulling up on the strings with a string hook, leveling the strings, mating the
>hammers to the strings, seating the strings at the bridges, needling the
>hammers. Nothing has helped. This piano has the Baldwin Accu-just hitch pin.
>The downbearing seems excessive to me. Any ideas?

My first guess is front duplex. So's my second guess. Touch the front duplex
of the offending note and whack the key again. If that kills the noise, mute
the sucker.

The bearing, according to Baldwin's tech sheet TS039D, should be just under
1 degree in the note 55-88 range. That's 3 bubble graduations with the
Baldwin gauge, but you could have up to about 1 1/2 degree with no problem.
While the bearing could very well be too high, even WAY too high, I doubt
that it's causing the noise. If it is WAY too high, though, it ought to be
fixed. It is most definitely not strings needing seated on bridges.

 Ron