regarding ethics

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 08:46:48

Jim, this is _excellent!!_ advice! I might add that while defending your
colleague's work may cast doubts on your own, if you criticize your
colleague's work it makes you sound insecure and ungenerous and again casts
doubts on your own competence.

"I'm sorry you had a hard time, and I hope we can do better, but call me
back if it gives you the least bit of trouble" is how I've always handled it.

Susan

At 09:31 AM 9/18/98 EDT, Jim Bryant wrote:

>Tom;
> I agree with Clydes response to your question and would like to expand on it
>just a little.........
> When a customer says something about the 'less than sterling' work, or
>personality, of a colleague and you try and defend the colleague by saying
>that you have always found their work to be good,etc., you are not supporting
>the colleague you are in essence 'disagreeing' with the customer.  Not a good
>start for a lasting relationship huh? :-)
>  Possible responses to a 'negative comment' from a customer vis a vis a
>colleague include Clydes' "that's too bad", "it's too bad you had that
>experience", "experiences like that are difficult", "let's see what we can do
>to make sure that doesn't happen again"...... all neutral comments without
>placing fault anywhere or disagreeing with your customer.
> Finally if you attempt to defend your colleague, does that make your work
>suspect by association?  Unless something is said that I find actually
>egregious about one of my colleagues I will not comment one way or another.
>'If' something is said that I find I cannot let pass, I will respond to the
>comment as I am packing my tools preparing to leave.......why? because if
they
>don't mind saying spiteful untruthful things about their last tech they won't
>mind doing the same to me and I don't need their business that
>Just my opinion.
> JIm Bryant (FL)

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"The best way to advertise is simply to be unusually good."
				-- Ashleigh Brilliant