need help w/Baldwin Grand noise

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 00:39:02 -0600

Hi JR,
       Your question needs some questions answered before I will venture to
give you my 2 cents worth.

1. Has the hammers been reshaped recently?
2. Since you mention down bearing, what is it? About .015" with dial gauge
is about right in this register, or 2 degrees with a compound gauge.
3. Did the felt feel hard to needle?
4. Did you check the set of the bridge pins?

 This vintage of piano frequently had key top acetone treatment from this
area through the killer octave. Reshaping will expose the full hardness of
key top material, giving rise to very percussive notes that have very poor
sustain.

 I have a technique that I call wet needling that will voice these type of
hammers, but first please supply a few more clues.

 Since you have checked the string hammer relationships so well I will
assume that you have tightened all hard ware like hinges etc.

Regards Roger

At 11:35 PM 17/09/98 EDT, you wrote:
>I service a 1992 Baldwin 6'3" model L. There is a very stubborn pinging or
>sizzling sound in several keys in the tenor right next to the tenor treble
>break that I cannot seem to get rid of. I've tried the usual things like
>pulling up on the strings with a string hook, leveling the strings, mating
the
>hammers to the strings, seating the strings at the bridges, needling the
>hammers. Nothing has helped. This piano has the Baldwin Accu-just hitch pin.
>The downbearing seems excessive to me. Any ideas?

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.