Keystick replacement

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 21:22:53 -0600

Patrick,
I am sure that many on the list would make the key from scratch. My not
having a great shop keeps me from doing a key stick because of the
measurements of front rail and balance rail pins. So the process that is
easiest for me is to choose a key blank from the many sets that are junk
with the same measurement of front of the key to balance rail pin and close
to the original length and angle of offset. If needed cut off or add to the
length of the key stick  If you choose a key with larger dimensions it is
very easy to make if fit using a belt sander. But be careful you can not
put material back on. If it is a fine instrument this is not a good repair.
Joe Goss