Empty pinblock

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 09:40:44 -0400

>    I just bought a knabe 5'2" from a tech who got out of the business.
>  When he bought it, he removed the strings and tuning pins. He does not
>  remember what size they were. So I have a piano with no string height
>  measurements. Since I am new in the field I dont know what problems I
>  will run into when re-doing the piano.

If I understand correctly that this is your first pinblock job, put the
piano on its' side in the back of the shop and leave it there until
you've done a few straightforward jobs.  You want to find a rebuilding
candidate that worked reasonably well and needs only to be copied.  Take
careful measurements to duplicate what was there originally.  You can
and should learn how to double check on the validity of the original
specs, but not on you first job, IMHO.

Carl Root, RPT