Autola by Horace Walter

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:15:44 -0600

> Has anyone heard of this animal? So far, in my quest, this ($550) is
> the least expensive player piano I have seen advertised around here
> (VT). However, Pierce is most unhelpful. Ad says circa 1895. Is this
> an off the wall PSO, or will it be helpful to me as a learner, later to
> sell? Would appreciate any help, so I can make the phone call or
> not!! Ad says it works, but I really don't care as I want to mess with it!

> Clair

I might suggest that the date you are looking at is a patent date or some sort
of company founding date used by the manufacturer for marketing purposes. Home
pumper players didn't really take off until around 1908-1910. Up to that time
most were either "coin pianos", the rare and VERY collectable type used in
drinking establishments, or the so-called "push-up" pianola units.  The
fallboard name could also be a stencil, possibly the name of a retailer. I
would completely ignore any ad that says "it works". Just because the owner
observes that it squeaks out a some sort of music when the pedals are pumped
furiously doesn't mean it is a "restored" instrument. Assume it needs a
complete rebuilding. When it comes to players one of the best qualities I look
for is the type/quality of player action inside and the case. Plain mahagany
cases don't excite me too much. On the other hand if your interest is to learn
the player trade something like this might not be too bad.

Good luck,

Rob Goodale