Autola by Horace Walter

Andy&Chris Taylor tempola@swbell.net
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:14:51 -0500

> Has anyone heard of this animal? So far, in my quest, this ($550) is
> the least expensive player piano I have seen advertised around here
> (VT). However, Pierce is most unhelpful. Ad says circa 1895. Is this
> an off the wall PSO, or will it be helpful to me as a learner, later to
> sell? Would appreciate any help, so I can make the phone call or
> not!! Ad says it works, but I really don't care as I want to mess with it!

Clair:
That was a average quality player-piano in it's day, but it's not likely
made 1895. actually most 88 note players were made after 1909. also make
sure that is  an 88 note player and not an early 65 note.......the very
early players had only 65 notes that were played and rolls for these were
scarce.

I love players, but understand that you are in for a LOT of work. Most old
players are worn out, requiring a major piano action overhaul, and most
likely  soundboard work and restringing.

Just because an old player still works, don't mean that it will stay
working, Your talking about 80+ year old leather and bellows
cloth........way beyond their life expectancy. A few players still function,
but are leaky. they have to be redone.

$550, IMO is a little high for an old player in my area. most go for around
$150-300 in my area.
Good luck with it. if you take all the time to put the old beast back
together, it will be a wonderful thing to have around and will give you many
hours of musical pleasure.

Andy
PPD (player piano dude)