Humidity Swings

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 02:54:40 -0300

Hi List,
I tell most of my clients, to get into a winter cycle of tuning the
pianos. That is when most of them use the pianos, lessons and, they are
indoors more.
I tell them not to do them during the summer, as the humidity swings,
can be from 50-90% week to week. If they do it one week it could be out
the next. I am also sure to mark on the bill, what the temperature and
humidity were, the day it was tuned.
If they use them year round, then of course they need to have it tuned
more frequently, or have a Dampp-Chaser installed.
It is amazing how close the pitch is, if the humidity level is close to
where it was the year before, and the piano was stabilized.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada