An American action

Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:54:35 -0700

Dear Vballx,

This is the same action my old nine-foot J. Bauer had in it.  An excellent
action.  Worth keeping and/or rebuilding when the time comes.

As Rob suggested, the rattling bass dampers are probably due to the wires being
located too close to the strings.  However, there is one other possibility that
comes to mind.  As damper felts age they tend to get harder than they were when
the piano was new.  They also get hard if things like Coke or 7-Up are spilled on
them.  It is possible that the damper felts are excessively hard and are rattling
against the strings.  If this is the case, they will have to be replaced.  (Just
the felts, not the whole damper assembly.)

Regards,

Del