Noisy key inserts

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:53:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Newton Hunt wrote:

> Ralph Onesti sells a set of tools for installing new inserts, of any
> wood of your choice.  I think lemon wood is a good choice because it is
> hard as well as lubricious.

To Newton's always sage advice, I would add a warning. When it comes to
rattling keys caused by worn key-bushings, beware a hammer-driven device
called the "key-bushing tightener". This drives the two sides of the bush-
ing closer together by crushing the wood of the key-button and/or bottom
of the key-front. Take the time and do the job right. Replace the bush-
ings. It's not that difficult a job.

Les Smith