Noisy key inserts

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:07:57 EDT

<<
 What are some favorite fixes for slightly pulley keys?  I've got a new one in
 the field with some slight play, but given the hardness and lack of
resiliency
 of the maple insert, its noise problems seem to vary quite a bit with
humidity
 changes.  It is difficult to find a fix that will have any kind of longevity.
 Is maple even the ideal material for these inserts?  I've had trouble with
 this manufacturer before, especially when a player system is involved.
Manual
 playing seems to keep the key in the same relative position on the pin, but
 the solenoid rails tend to push the key back and forth, magnifying the
 problem.

 David V. Anderson, RPT
 Rochester Hills, MI

Cut a slit in the key where it pulls and glue in a piece of veneer.  If you
insist in the same material, use balsa or whatever the key was made of.  Maple
does not seem right for keys.  Awfully hard for what it needs. Short of glue
sizing, this is the best repair I know of for fixing pully keys.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR