Noisy key inserts

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:33:24 -0600

Hi David,
          One of the factory checks for various player devices is to make
sure there are no binding keys, this get over done some times, Tongue in
cheek!!!
  I have fixed this problem by inserting the correct size of acu cauls to
protect the bushing and steaming the B/R hole it has worked well with maple
shoed keys.  The reason this tends to happen is that they are looking for
PPP consistency.
Regards Roger

At 09:07 PM 22/09/98 EDT, you wrote:

><<
> What are some favorite fixes for slightly pulley keys?  I've got a new
one in
> the field with some slight play, but given the hardness and lack of
>resiliency
> of the maple insert, its noise problems seem to vary quite a bit with
>humidity
> changes.  It is difficult to find a fix that will have any kind of
longevity.
> Is maple even the ideal material for these inserts?  I've had trouble with
> this manufacturer before, especially when a player system is involved.
>Manual
> playing seems to keep the key in the same relative position on the pin, but
> the solenoid rails tend to push the key back and forth, magnifying the
> problem.
>

> David V. Anderson, RPT
> Rochester Hills, MI
>

>Cut a slit in the key where it pulls and glue in a piece of veneer.  If you
>insist in the same material, use balsa or whatever the key was made of.
Maple
>does not seem right for keys.  Awfully hard for what it needs. Short of glue
>sizing, this is the best repair I know of for fixing pully keys.
>
>Dave Peake, RPT
>Portland, OR

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre