Noisy key inserts

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 13:39:54 -0500

>On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Christopher D. Purdy wrote:
>
>> I just rebushed a set of keys that had been whacked.  Only the balance rail
>> though, on the front rail you just turn them thar pins till they're tight
>> again.
>
>But if you find yourself turning those front-rail pins 90 degrees in order
>to stabilize the keys, you really should rebush. On high-quality pianos
>which receive heavy use, some techs opt for leather instead of felt.
>
>Les Smith

Les,

Thank you but I was being very sarcastic there.  (there is probably a cute
little symbol I should have used for that)  What I meant was that the set
of keys I worked on had been whacked at the balance rail but not at the
front.  In the front the pins had been turned darn near 90 degrees and were
trashing the bushings and mortise.  I do not use the bush whacker nor do I
turn front rail pins.  I do rebush and usually with leather.  I find it
easier to work with and much longer lasting.  Thank you for your note
though.  My attempt at humor can be hard to spot sometimes.

chris

ps.  I looked up the spelling of mortise and was suprised to find it
spelled both mortise and mortice.  I wish more words were that user
friendly.

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429