Noisy key inserts

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:17:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Christopher D. Purdy wrote:

> Les,
>
> Thank you but I was being very sarcastic there.  (there is probably a cute
> little symbol I should have used for that)  What I meant was that the set
> of keys I worked on had been whacked at the balance rail but not at the
> front.  In the front the pins had been turned darn near 90 degrees and were
> trashing the bushings and mortise.  I do not use the bush whacker nor do I
> turn front rail pins.  I do rebush and usually with leather.

Hi, Chris:

Well, that's the last time I try to be a nice guy and use humor at the
same time! I didn't recall seeing your name here before, and so didn't
say anything about turning the front-rail pins directly. My comment about
turning them 90 degress was tounge-in-cheek. It's sometimes difficult with
the written word to correctly judge the intent of the poster and mis-
understandings sometimes occur. Using a "smiley"  :)  after a humerous
post can help make that clearer. As for using a bush-whacker, if you ever
come across a set of keys thus treated, you can bet that the guy who did
it is an "expert" at turning front-rail pins, too! :)

Thanks for writing back,

Les Smith