query

Wed, 23 Sep 1998 19:40:54 -0700

James,

What do you mean by 'fiberglas?"  Fiberglass is just that -- glass fibers
processed into one of many differing forms.  It can be obtained as a chopped
strand, woven into a mat or a cloth, etc.  Now, if you're referring to the
polyester resin that is typically used to mix with fiberglas to form the fiber
reinforced plastic material used to make boats, Corvettes, etc., that's a whole
other matter.  Polyester resins -- a common brand is 'Bondo' -- are not
particularly good adhesives -- particularly when used with wood -- nor do they
posses much structural strength by themselves.

Use the epoxy.  It is an excellent adhesive and it does posses a fair amount of
structural strength.  Don't use the 5-minute variety, however, you want
something that will really soak in there before it has to be clamped together.
To achieve that, it will need to stay liquid for a while.  Use the slow
hardener.

Regards,

Del