tone sustain

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:28:23 -0400

Hi Frank!

Are we talking about the top octave here?  So many variables can affect the
sustain in that range.  Ron has already talked about determining whether or
not the problem lies with the hammers, or the *belly* of the beast
(soundboard etc.)

Often sheer tuning has a huge effect on the sustaining abilities of the
high treble.  If the octaves are not absolutely clean, you will hear little
more than variations on the theme of plink.  You will know when you've hit
the sweet spot in tuning those octaves, because the tone will suddenly open
up and ring.  Go beyond the sweet spot and once again you will hear little
more than plink.

Z! Reinhardt RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----------
From: Frank Cahill <fcahill@erols.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: tone sustain
Date: Wednesday, September 23, 1998 10:29 PM

A long-time client just moved up to a Boston upright.  I gave the piano
its second tuning.  I had never worked on one of these pianos...it's
pretty much like a Kawai (I think they build it) or Young Chang.

The only complaint from the owner is that the upper notes do not sustain
very long. It's apparently very noticeable to her and her paino
teacher.

I wonder...if I were to voice the hammers down, would that help matters?

My guess is that the hammers are so hard that the intial amplitude it
quite high (loud with lots of prominant upper partials). Then the decay
time (sustain), while being normal, appears shorter because the extreme
change in amplitude from very loud to soft happens so quickly.

I don't do much voicing, so I'm in above my head.

Thanks
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member