Sticking centers again

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:43:28 -0600

Hi Dan,
       I have done dozens of these pianos with good results, 50% water 50%
rubbing alcohol. then dry with hair drier. check the wippen flanges as they
are probably slow as well. If the dealer will pay for two visits, wet both
sets of C/P and leave for 24hrs it is not quite as aggressive re shrinking,
you can reshrink and dry with drier any slow pokes the following day.
Regards Roger

At 06:59 AM 24/09/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Esteemed list:
>
>	Having done a little homework, I'll venture to reopen the question of
>sticking jacks on a small Samick grand, almost new. It went through some
>high humidity this summer when the air conditioning in the business went
>down. Around 20 jacks are sticking, apparently wood against wood. I've
>installed Dampp-Chaser dehumidifiers under the soundboard and keybed, a
>15 watt just under the jacks, and a humidistat.
>
>	I have on hand a plastic bottle with narrow steel tip, isopropyl
>rubbing alcohol 70%, ethyl alcohol 70%, and Garfield center pin
>lubricant. My questions are: 1) Which alcohol, if either? 2) How much
>water? 3) Would Garfield's be better? I know I'll want to use a hair
>dryer or let it sit 24 hours, and may have to repin. The work will be
>covered by warranty, and the dealer is willing to replace the action if
>necessary. TIA.
>
>	BTW, I checked archive PT 054-96 at
>http://www.webcom.com/wind/ptsearch.html
>
>Dan Eumurian, R.P.T.
>Just starting to see the fall colors in…
>La Crosse, WI :-)

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina