Noisy key inserts

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:38:36 -0500

>Well, that's the last time I try to be a nice guy and use humor at the
>>same time! I didn't recall seeing your name here before, and so didn't
>>say anything about turning the front-rail pins directly. My comment about
>>turning them 90 degress was tounge-in-cheek. It's sometimes difficult with
>>the written word to correctly judge the intent of the poster and mis-
>>understandings sometimes occur. Using a "smiley"  :)  after a humerous
>>post can help make that clearer. As for using a bush-whacker, if you ever
>>come across a set of keys thus treated, you can bet that the guy who did
>>it is an "expert" at turning front-rail pins, too! :)
>>
>>Thanks for writing back,
>>
>>Les Smith
>
>Dear list,
>
>At the risk of being flamed or worse (Conrad H., my order is in the mail),
>perhaps it would be well for us to remember that as experienced piano
>technicians, we sometimes make humorous statements among ourselves, knowing
>full well that what we've suggested in jest is not ever actually done.
>There are, however, a few beginning tuners out there who might misinterpret
>our attempts at humor as being real technical procedures and actually try
>some of the things we were only kidding about.
>
>I think we owe it to the less experienced members on the list to make sure
>that our humorous comments are clearly identified as such.
>
>Jeez, it's getting hot in here already and I haven't even sent this message
>yet. Pretty scary!
>
>Best wishes!
>
>Regards,
>
>Tom
>
>Tom Seay
>The University of Texas at Austin

Tom and Les,

These are very good points and I agree.  No flame here.  Thank you for
writing and being nice about it.  My attempts at humor are at best obscure
and get me in more trouble than you can imagine.  The funny thing to me is
though, I was fully expecting to be shot down for my Bill
Clinton/bushwacker joke, not the sarcasm.  The thing about this medium is
you can't hear if anyone is laughing.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429