tone sustain

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 05:59:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Susan Kline wrote:

> Frank wrote:
> >
> >The other night I tuned a Samick grand.  Man, was the customer mad!!!
> >He said that the paino sounded terrible, like a honky-tonk piano.  I
> >went back and tried to clean up some of the false beats, but the piano
> >is full of them every where.  That's not what he was mad about, however.
> >
> >He didn't like the extremely bright tone of the piano.  I had brought
> >the pitch up, mostly in the upper half of the paino, and he noticed the
> >increased brightness.  I told him I could reduce the brightness wjith
> >voicing, but not tuning. So...he's calling the Samick rep to see what
> >they say.
> >
> >I've had better weeks.  Oh well, Fridays almost here.
> >--
> >
> >Frank Cahill
> >Associate Member
> >Northern Va
> >

> Steam! Steam! Steam!

Hi, Sue:

I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with your advice. The
fact is, I hate working for STUPID clients. This bozo obviously gave
poor Frank a really hard time about this piano, yet the fault doesn't
lie with Frank, it lies with the owner. The problems Frank describes--
false beats galore and excessive drightness--are FEATURES built into
the Samick piano and were there from day one! The question is: If
the owner doesn't like the way the piano sounds, THEN WHY DID HE BUY IT?
If this guy calls again, I suggest that Frank refer him back to the
dealer where he bought the piano, so the guy who made the big bucks on
this deal can tackle these all-too-common problems. Frank, meanwhile,
can move on to something more worthwhile. He doesn't need anymore of
this undeserved grief. I hope he has a GREAT weekend!

Les Smith