More on repitition problem- S&S

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:51:12 -0700

Horace Greeley wrote:

> The earlier versions of the tool are really quite elegant.  It seems
> to be only in the later "Hale", even cheaper, imitations, that the molds
> for the castings have become so distorted that the thing not only looks
> ugly, but is dysfunctional as well.

This I don't doubt.

> As to the design being dumb - Which is more dumb - Having a capstan
> regulating systems which allows you to do it completely by feel,
> note to note and section to section?  Or, one which guarantees having
> to work at uncomfortable angles just so that you can see all that you
> must see to do the job?

I don't find any serious disadvantages to the modern equal whatsoever. A
small hole requiring only a small light weight universal tool. I find it
very comfortable and easy to use. Since I'm looking low into the action
anyway to sight out hammer height, I don't find "feel" to be a critical
issue. Also for what it's worth, (maybe really splitting hairs here),
since modern capstans are lighter, (much less bulk of brass), there
should in theory be less weight on the back of the keys to have to
counter-weight at the front. :-)

> Idle thoughts of a clearly misinformed mind.

Uhhh... not quite and unnecessary.

Peace,
Rob Goodale, RPT