High Tech Devices...

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 11:59:18

Dear Rob,

I'm an aural tuner as well, and carry a date book, too. <grin>

If we formed a Dinosaur's Club, would I be the only member here?
Membership requirements:
No cell phone. No ETD. No paging. Pitch source: tuning fork (either C or A
is just fine.) Scheduling written out in longhand with a pen. Telephone,
answering machine and motorized vehicles allowed .... (sole compromises
with modern practicality.) Likes to walk up to a 9 foot grand with a tuning
fork, a muting strip, and two wedges, and end up with a concert tuning.
Actually listens to the concert afterwards. Computer optional ... but then,
without one, you wouldn't be reading this.

It's no way to get rich, but I like it. Do remember, also, that one doesn't
have to buy and maintain all that stuff, which partially offsets any
"productivity losses."

Susan

"I may not yet have everything, but I already have too much."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant

At 11:52 AM 9/27/98 -0600, Rob Kiddell wrote:
>Greetings All,
>
>	Seems like the old Holy Wars have begun again, SAT's vs
>RCT's vs Phase Linear Molecular String Resonance Aligners...
>
>I use (and therefore everyone else should use*...) an extremely
>complex tuning/voicing analyzer, capable of a frequency response
>of 17 - 20 000 hz, more than enough for piano tuning, able to
>simultaneously track multiple beating frequencies, battery life
>measured in years, uses stereo sampling for a more accurate
>measurement, and is a completely analog system. It is able to
>detect changes in string pitch and timbre on the fly, as well as
>allowing for changes in scaling and extraneous noise, string
>buzzing, etc. This system is lightweight, 100% portable, and
>extremely affordable.
>
>	For record keeping and advance bookings on site, I use an
>instantaneous input-output device, error-correcting, fits in a shirt
>pocket, has a 100% system crash free record, and is again
>extremely affordable.
>
>	e-mail me for details on the above items, and I'm sure my
>distrubution department can work out a spectacular deal....
>
>*disclaimer: this is by no means a serious statement... if you find
>this statement, or the entire message to be offensive or damaging
>to your esteem as a professional Piano Technician, I refer you to
>our consumer complaints centre which will recommend watching
>old Simpsons episodes until you develop a sense of humour about
>such matters.
>
>Havin' Fun on Sunday Morn....
>

>Rob Kiddell,
>Registered Piano Technician, PTG