Loaner pianos

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 21:45:38 EDT

<< I am wondering about loaner pianos for customers who are having their
pianos
 rebuilt. Some still want little Johnie and Suzie to practice but while their
 piano is in my shop, it is hard when they have to go without for 3-6 months.

 Has anyone ever loaned a piano for customers like these?  Do you loan them
 free? Monthly rentals?  Quality of pianos you loan?  Do they pay for the
 moving costs and insurance?

 I am expecting a piano to arrive to my shop after the first of the year and
 this is what my customer is asking. I did not promise anything but I do I
have
 a spinet that can be used for something like this but I have never considered
 this and would appreciate any feedback you can give.

 Thanx in advance.

 Dave Peake, RPT
 Portland, OR >>

Dave:

You are in the piano rebuilding business. Unless you are also in the piano
rental business, it is my opinion that it should be the customer's
responsibility to find another piano. Even if you are in the piano rental
business, I would recommend you handle that as a seperate transaction. You
might want to give your customer  a discount, or make other consessions, but
it should still be a seperate contract.

I had a similar situation about 10 years ago. I "lent" a customer a grand I
had for sale while I rebuilt his Steinway. When I got done with Steinway, the
customer refused to pay. After 2 months of hagling, he finally paid me, and I
got my piano back. If I had had a sperate rental contract with him, I am sure
he would have paid me sooner. Not only that, but the pianio came back in worse
shape than when I gave it to him, and I wasn't able to sell my piano during
this time, (about 4 months).

Willem Blees