SAT II Anybody? Aprentice Piano Tuner

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 22:55:05 +0000

Hi ?,

I haven't determined from your posts a name and good E-mail
etiquette is a personal name...

I guess I would like to know how you got started tuning?  What
did you use for your basic instruction?  Where do you live?  I
might be able to steer you towards some help.  First off if your
serious about piano technology you've got to invest some money
and time.  Join the PTG! 816-753-7747 or write to PTG, 3930
Washington, Kansas City, MO  64111-2963.  They will send you
an application and a sample of the Journal.  It cost about
$163.00? a year.  You get a monthly PTG Journal with articles on
all aspects of the craft.  You should seriously consider Randy
Potter's course.  It ain't cheap but a inquiry on the List might
bring up someone willing to sell their old one.

The PTG tests cost $90.00 each at this time.  You need to join a
chapter or be a member at large.  Chapter meetings are another
great place to meet technicians and learn.  The first step is
the written exam at no cost from a chapter RPT, when passed you
can take the technical or tuning test.  All three tests are not
easy but passing them doesn't mean your the best technician who
ever lived.

As soon as possible get an A440 fork, Sheffield England made.
The world generally tunes to A440 and that is where you should
begin.  Practice setting your A4 note to the fork.  Test is
F3-Fork (10th interval) against F3-A4 (just tuned, 10th interval
again).  They should beat the same.  It doesn't matter if the F3
is in tune it is simply a reference note.  From their practice
A4 down to A3 octave.  Checking your F3-A3 against your F3-A4
they should beat the same.  Down the road you will want the the
F3-A3 to actually beat an 1/2 beat slower than the F3-A4 but for
now go for the same.  There are many variations from there and
you can use what you are using now with some variations.  With
the C3 fork you probably tune down a 5th to F3?  Just fit what
your doing into the new reference note of A3.  If your using
4ths and 5ths you must be checking with 3rds and 6ths.  Your
4ths and 5ths can't beat too fast and your 3rds and 6ths need to
progress evenly up and down.  4ths wide, 5ths narrowed.  As you
progress down from the temperment use 4ths and 5ths and check
your 3rds and 6ths are decreasing slightly as you move down.
When they are beating too slowly jump to the 10ths and
eventually 17ths.  Do you know these intervals?  Well of course
you do as you play the piano...When listening to the single
octaves in the bass you can usually bring the not up listening
to the lowest overtones and ignoring the high ones which will be
competing.  I generally try to compromise with the least amount
of movement (beating).  Stay on the stretched side or flat of
the note being tuned.  It isn't easy on little pianos.  Just
remember you want an even progression of the fast beating
intervals.

I hope I haven't completely confused you.

David ilvedson RPT
Pacifica, CA

> From:          Jazzizzzzz@AOL.COM
> Date:          Sun, 27 Sep 1998 11:54:19 EDT
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: SAT II Anybody? Aprentice Piano Tuner

> << ilvey@jps.net >>
>

> Dear Sir.
>
> You said I should tune aurally first.
> The truth is I tune my piano by ear .The  piano is at a Restaurant and
> I play for the public every Saturday night.(Just soft jazz, background music
> and what not.)
>
> HOWEVER,
> When I get down to the low bass notes I am not sure what I should be listening
> for .
> I was hoping maybe you could e mail me some information.
>
> Even though I dont do the most precise tuning on it ,
>  The people havent the foggiest even when it IS out of tune .
> I guess I wanted to get a device so that i could be more precise on other
> people pianos when I started tuning.
> Also to check myself and maybe use the computer to learn more aurally.
>
> There are no Aural teachers around here.
> When you tune aurally Do you start with middle C or with A4?
> I do the temperment F3 to F4 so I start with middle C.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can become a better aural tuner?
> How much does it cost to take the PTG test??
> Where can I do it ?
> Would I have to travel far?
> I am in Tx
>
> Any comments would be greatly Aprreciated gentlemen of the Gulid.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@jps.net