C. Keyboard'80(J.Svec)

Roberto Rovira roberto_rovira@ciudad.com.ar
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 23:14:41 -0200

Dear list,
I've found an old Keyboard magazine from december 1980.
There's an article about piano tuning by Mr. John Svec.  This
article was very usefull to me when I decided to work as a
piano technician. I always have this words in my mind:

 ......"When you're just getting started, it wouldn't hurt to do the
   jobs a little better than you figure the money is worth, to help
   you spread your name around more quickly. It depends in the
   end on how much you value for your time. My attitudes in this
   regard have change in some ways. I've realized that I have a
   finite amount of time and I can no longer give things away to
   people who don't appreciate them. But you are not going to go
   wrong by doing a little more than you have to. Even now, I don't
   ask to be paid for everything I do, because often I do some extra
   things on a job not to make money, but because it's necessary and
   the piano needs it. I'm not saying that everyone has to feel that way
   about it, but this certainly creates a right relationship with your work.
   Instead of looking for a shortcut method to do something, you should
   learn to do it the right way. If someone is in the tuning business for
   a quick buck, he or she is going to be surprised, and a lot of customers
   will be dissapointed.".......

He speaks about another topics, but this thought  is something that
helps me to be aware that the primary thing is our attitude toward the job.
And as J. Svec says: "if it's good, that's the biggest step forward."

Roberto Rovira
Argentina

Ps: does anybody know anything about Mr. Svec?