Sticking centers again

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 19:17:48 -0600

Hi Peter,
              If you try drying with a hair drier, it works in the majority
of cases. If you have bent C/P's then thats another story.  Also some
Korean products have a problem with plating that is causing the pin to
bind, no amount of shrinking or lubrication will help, you will have to re
centre pin to cure the problem.
Regards Roger

At 01:57 AM 29/09/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>I am still wondering about this alcohol/water method for centerpins. I did
>try it, on one flange only, but it didn't work. Actually, I didn't expect it
>would, because of what I understood of the story of a man from Renner,
>Stuttgart. He told us, (so I thought) the alcohol/water solution works on
>bushings which have a graphite layer. In a humid climate, the graphite
>curdles, which results in a tight centerpin bushing. The alcohol solves and
>spreads the graphite again.
>I can't believe all bushings in the US have graphite layers, so my questions
>are: did I mistunderstand this story completely or does it work in a
>different way? What about this shrinking business? I can't remember the
>Rennerman said anything about that. But perhaps I forgot.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Albertien de Pater, piano technician/tuner
>Amsterdam, Holland

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina