Repetition

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:15:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 9/28/98 9:42:10 PM, DGPEAKE@aol.com wrote:
>
> <<Your "freind and colegue">>
>
> Dave;
>  There ain't a 'u' in colege.
> SCP wannabe

Their ain't? Is too! An n udder "l" and an "a". So there! The problum is
getting tham thar suckers in the right order. Colleague works for me, but
udders spel it in udder ways. Some even spel it, "it".  As youse can see,
I is an English major. My concentration was in 14.1 straight pool and
nine-ball.

True story. Long ago, when I was much younger and much wiser, I once re-
paired, regulated and tuned a grand for a customer who fancied himself a
pool-hustler. When I finished the piano, I shot him a game of pool on his
own table for my bill--double or nothing. He was a good player. He had a
keen eye, a smooth stroke, steady nerves and a good understanding of the
game, except for the part that said to never play for money with someone
who just happens to be carrying his own chalk in a tiny, hand-tooled
leather container in his pocket. Live and learn. The customer also had a
beautiful, brass-jointed, mother-of-pearl-inlaid, two-piece Willie Hoppe
cue, complete with a silk-wrapped, rosewood butt, an ivory-ferruled maple
shaft, and its own carrying case. We played a second game for the cue.
For years thereafter, I drove around with it in the back seat of my car--
ready, just in case I ran into a colleague who--like me-- had majored in
English and played for cash! Those were the days...

Les Smith