Sticking centers again

Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:50:48 -0700

Richard Moody wrote:

> Felt expands when gains moisture.  It shrinks as it looses moisture.  Wood
> does the same thing. BUT, I believe wood reacts to moisture in the way it
> was "cured", or "dried"
> I cannot prove this, but a hunch tells me that wood when "dried" very fast
> such as in kiln drying, reacts to moisture changes more rapidly and
> radically than wood cured in the traditional manner which I understand is
> up to six years in drying yards, or pens or areas not subject to
> artificial heat or dry air.
>
> Richard Moody

To the best of my knowledge there is no evidence anywhere to support this idea.
As long as the drying process is controlled in such a way that the wood fiber is
not damaged, there should be no difference.  It is possible to kiln dry wood in
a manner that will damage it in some fashion, but the damage is usually in the
form of cracks that result from the stress differential as the outer portion of
the wood dries faster than the inside.

Del