Kranich and Bach Bashers Beware!

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:58:37 -0600

----------
> From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Kranich and Bach Bashers Beware!
> Date: Tuesday, September 29, 1998 8:42 AM
>
> Del Frandrich wrote:
>
> Why is it that so many technicians equate the lack of a 'duplex scale'
with poor
> piano design?  Especially considering all of the string problems that
they
> struggle with that result from this design, I find this more than passing
> strange.  There is gathering evidence that the tuned duplex scale
contributes
> far more problems that it solves.  If all other elements of a given
design are
> equal, the piano without the tuned duplex scale -- but with somewhat
sharper
> string termination angles -- will have better power and sustain and fewer
> obnoxious string noises.

>From Sy Zabrocki
 At the Namm Show this January I spent some time checking out duplex
scales. The following pianos do not have duplex scale.
Grotrian, Beckstein, Schimmel, Petrof, Bluthner, Schulze Pullman, Seiler,
Pleyll, Bosendorfer (not positive about Bosendorfer). Evidently German
makers have not bought into the duplex scale although the Sauter did have
duplex. The Italian Fazioli also does have duplex.

The NAMM Show was eight months ago and I'm stating this from memory and
brochures.

Sy