Togetherness

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 01 Apr 1999 07:26:06 +0000

Hi John,
     IMHO, tune the piano with higher inharmonicity first using"natural
stretch" as some refer to it.  (i.e, all 10ths and 17ths beating the same
speed). or choose a low stretch number on an ETD and/or average them.   The
lower inharmonicity piano will not have to be stretched so far to match, (only
generally true though as inharmonicity varies for each note, so expect to
"fudge")  The bass will never match with good unisons but the trebles likely
can.  It's wise to educate your customer explaining reasons for that
limitation.  Test the pianos by playing simultaneous chormatic scales on both.

     Of related note, for many years piano faculty had one Yamaha 6' G3 and
Baldwin 6'3" L in each studio side by side.   I found that tuning aurally the
L first and copying the tuning on the Yamaha resulted in a smooth equal
tempered soundingYamaha.  Duplicating a smooth sounding G3 temperament almost
always resulted in  "reverse well" or some other uneven concoction on the L.
Go figure!  IMHO there exists a greater margin for error allowable on the G3
than on the L, which could explain why G3s are seemingly easier to set a
temperament on.  Thankfully now we have identical instruments in piano
studios.

Good luck
-Mike Jorgensen