Soundboard Cracks

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:29:51 -0500

Shimming cracks is a cosmetic repair, I would never consider this
for an upright. As long as the rib/sound board joint is secure, you
are doing well. It adds nothing to the sound, but I guess it has the
Charlie Brown effect: "It's like wetting your pants in a dark suit.
It gives you a warm feeling but nobody notices".

As long as the ribs are tight, the crack is not important.
There may be the isolated incident where the faces of adjoining
boards vibrate together, but a little glue forced in with a finger you the
judicious placement of a scrap of business card handles that.

One summer, I left a single-edged razor blade stuck in between the rib
and board to eliminate the buzz until the heat came on and I could force
some glue into the joint and wedge the board from top and bottom to
secure it without worrying about further drying. Whew.

Otherwise, I just screw in from the front and where the plate interferes,
from the back.

Keep it neat,

Jon Page

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net