Samick legs

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:00:28 -0800

I tuned my first ever Samick grand today, a WSG-185 (with Pianodisk).
Since it was originally sold in Phoenix, the piano has been moved twice
and the movers observed, after setting it up this last time, that the
legs were wobbly.

On two of the legs (tail and treble), I noticed that a business card
could be slid easily into the joint between the top of the tapered
square part and the part that screws to the underside of the keybed or
console (don't these parts have names?). So if there is a dowel holding
the assembly together, it has slipped out a little and is standing the
parts off from each other, just enough to make a "squicha-squicha" noise
and permit the wobbliness.

The piano is two years old. The customer called Samick who told her to
get an estimate from a technician. What I need to know first is how can
this repair be accomplished without disturbing the polyester finish? I'm
guessing that I should be able to drill out a dowel from the top.
However, there was no time during the appointment to check the top of
one of the legs to see how they are fastened together so I'm hoping
there is someone out there who has experience with this repair. Also,
what size allen wrench is needed to remove the legs? Any other
tips/precautions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

--