Key Dip

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 19:23:59 -0500

You didn't say if this is a grand or an upright.

If it is an upright or a grand then dip and hammer blow distance are
not fixed entities but are variable according to the needs of the
piano.

If an upright remove all the support felts for the hammer rail and
increase the blow distance to about 48 mm and the dip to around 10
mm.  If this does not give you the after touch you want the decrease
the dip to 9,5 mm and change the hammer blow to get you after touch.

If this is a grand and these do not work then have a look at
relocating the capstans.  You must do a search in the archives and
study what David Stanwood has written about properly setting up an
action.  You can remove one capstan and make a little pointed block of
the right thickness and move it back and forth to see how you can
change the regulation but be warned this will substantially change the
key weight big time.

Have a look at your options and let us know what is happening with the
action.

		Newton