underwriter lab (was "What would you do?")

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 07:14:39 -0800

This Tech does sell pianos.  And I've learned very quickly to avoid
anything that makes me run out and fix, fix, fix.  No profit is worth the
bother.  I only want to sell what makes the player happy.  The piano has
to be not just reliable, but good to play, a magnet for the pianist.  If
what I have doesn't 'talk' to the buyer, I'll send them to where they can
get what they want.  I may lose a sale, but I'll gain a customer and
retain credibility, a very marketable commodity.

Also, I found that people want to buy from us.  They trust us.  And we
should never violate their trust.

We should look into a rating system, a consumer report system.  I suspect
there are many manufacturers, new and otherwise, who, like Yamaha, would
take up the challenge and strive to meet higher standards.  The stuff
being pressed on an ignorant public is appalling.

Consider too that sometimes the difference between a poor piano and a
great one is the final preparation, a few hours of skilled TLC that can
transform that box into something glorious.  There is a dealer/shop
within our Pocono Northeast guild from which I have seen incredible
results from some traded in brands that most of us would quickly condemn.
 And it is due to their high craftsmanship.  But, their prices reflect
the added work.

I think our rating system would need at least two levels, Original
construction and Dealer Preparation, since too little such refinement is
done at any factory.

Roger Hayden, RPT