Challenge question: Where's the Squeek?

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 07:24:43 -0800

This was on my own piano, a 1913 Steinway model O, as yet not rebuilt, a
soft but audible squeeky sustaining pedal, Steinway O, 1913, all original
stuff.

The squeek was pitched at C5, occured on the depression of the sustaining
pedal, was not in the pedals or lyre mechanism, could be reproduced by
pushing up on the damper tray.

It took me 45 minutes to find it, very exasperating, but in 23 years of
tuning, a 'first timer' for me.

I'll give more clues later if nobody gets it soon.

Roger Hayden, RPT