Insects

Earl S. Dunlap, Jr. dunlapes@ici.net
Thu, 02 Dec 1999 11:29:00 -0500

Mark:

What you undoubtedly saw was, as you surmised, the residue of moths larvae.
Moth larvae thrive in dark locations where there is little physical
activity!  Hmm.

Wool that has not been mothproofed--had a material that kills or repells
moths--applied is subject to becoming a meal for the critters.  The softer
wools are especially ready for eating.  Hammer felts kept still and in the
dark will be attacked too.  For this reason we mothproof both dyed and
undyed felts we sell to the industry.

At 07:46 AM 12/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hello-
>>
>>Yesterday I made a first-time call with a new customer whose daughter was
>>complaing about the keys feeling "loose".  When I opened it up, it was
>>very clear what had happened.  There were THOUSANDS of what I guess were
>>larvae "casings" piled up in and around the keys.  These were the
>>exoskeletons, I presume, and were app. the size of a center pin in length
>>and thickness.
>>
>>Anyway, they had COMPLETELY eliminated the key button bushings - licked
>>'em clean!  Many balance rail felts were partially eaten, but no other
>>felt in the entire piano was disturbed.  I have never run into this
>>particular critter before..... any idea what is was?
>>
>>Mark Potter
>>bases-loaded@juno.com
Earl S. Dunlap, Jr.
Technical Director