update on Steinway/new questions

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 23:53:03 -0600

Hi John,
             Glad to hear you were successful.
The adjacent pin rising is not uncommon, now just think what would have
happened if you had used over size pins. WOW trouble. You would have really
stressed those cracks and fissures.
Did you heat the epoxy a little after filling the hole? The pin rising is
less prevalent when the epoxy is very watery.

The 6 to 7 mm is a little on the high side for the bottom of the coil.

Regards Roger

>Two main questions have emerged, which follow.  One is bridge related, and
>the other is related to tuning pin height.
>
>1) I had ordered 1" pins, planning to tap them in a touch further than the
>original, then file to proper height.  However, the pins were already 1" so
>I put in extra epoxy.  After putting enough epoxy into the holes, I noticed
>that as I tapped the new pins into the epoxy-filled hole, the previously
>tapped adjacent pin came up as its neighbor was being tapped in.  I assumed
>that there were pretty sizable gaps in the bases of the holes, which allowed
>the epoxy to "travel" over to the neighboring hole.  Is this normal, and is
>that what was happening?  Since 1" pins were what I replaced, had this
>bridge seen repair before???  Would that have caused the gap/trough at the
>bottom?
>
>2) When retensioning the strings, I noticed that the bottom of the coils on
>the tuning pins in the capo section were anywhere from 6 - 1.1 mm from the
>plate.  While tuning, the pins that section were flagpoling and/or
>"springy," making it hard to get the string into a stable position.  I did
>the best I could, knowing that the tuning was not going to last anyway.  I
>wondered if the pin height was a little too high--wouldn't that cause the
>flagpoling?  Reblitz suggests an average coil height of 5mm above the plate.
>I am thinking of suggesting to the customer that I drive the pins to 4-5mm
>from the plate.  This should cause the string to have a little more friction
>on the upper part of the plate and might make for an easier and more stable
>tuning.  What are your thoughts?
>
>Any tips or suggestions about things I left out would be appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>John Formsma
>Blue Mountain, MS

Roger Jolly