Renner key easing pliers

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:17:07 EST

I have both types and even a third, Yamaha "CF" tool (my favorite).  I do
like the Renner parallel type best of the others.  You can ease while not
taking off the stack in some cases.  Be careful not to bind or elongate the
balance hole when attempting this.  I find the biggest problem with these
tools is over use and aggressiveness of zealous Techs.  Key easing sometimes
is done and then redone only to find the problem was friction in another part
of the action.  Whoops... The key is now too loose.  That is the problem I
see.  I use the CF tool which is just a tapered piece of brass that I lightly
push up inside the bushing hole and this does the trick most of the time.  I
use a soldering iron with the proper brass bushing caul inserted in the iron
with the heat down low to just iron or lay the felt on down, when the action
is in the shop and the keys are being bushed.  All of these methods are valid
when used properly.  Don't over ease and all will be fine.

Ed Tomlinson

<<
 Question: I'm considering obtaining some fine key easing pliers from Renner
 (the type designed to enable the tech. to ease the key WHILE IN THE PIANO).
 I've seen the 2 types they make, but I'd appreciate having other opinions
 from those of you who use both or one of the two.  One type is the tapered 2
 jaws parallel pliers (in the original Renner cat. # 1616), the other type is
 Not parallel 2 jaws with a "tongue/swivel" thing in the middle. # 1617.
 Any thoughts/recommendations will be mostly appreciated.
 -Dan Amihud  RPT >>