Soundboard backposts ??

Mon, 6 Dec 1999 08:26:29 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Jorgensen <Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, December 06, 1999 5:35 AM
Subject: Re: Soundboard backposts ??

> Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

OK.  I confess, I was being a bit sarcastic.  But, I do tend to think our
expectations of piano longevity are somewhat unrealistic at times.

The main problem would be just what you mentioned -- assuming that the
notion actually worked, of course.  Market acceptance and keeping them
inflated.  None of the membrane materials that I am aware of are completely
air-tight.  They will leak over time.  And, short of actually fitting the
piano with an onboard air compressor and regulator, there would be no way of
ensuring that the bags would be inflated to the right amount of air pressure
at all times.

Still, I've read patent claims that sounded more far-fetched than this one.

Regards,

Del