new tool? was Re: Time to level pins, dress coils...?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 19:23:02 EST

In a message dated 12/7/99 4:15:28 PM !!!First Boot!!!, ilvey@jps.net writes:

 From:              "Brian Trout" <btrout@desupernet.net>
 To:                <pianotech@ptg.org>
 Subject:           Re: new tool?  was Re: Time to level pins, dress coils...?
 Date sent:         Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:51:56 -0500
 Send reply to:     pianotech@ptg.org

 > Hi Wim,
 >
 > I think he was referring to a tuning pin setter.  There's a picture of it
in
 > the Pianotek catalog on page B-10, item TPS-1. >>

<< That is the tool.

 David I.

I thought that is what you were referring to. But a tuning pin setter will
not prevent the tuning pin from "slipping" when it is pounded.  The handle is
just for you to hold on to the punch that is used to pound in the tuning pin.
The tension of the string will cause the pin to "slip." And, as Brian
mentioned, when you tighten coils, you have to untune each string, so that
the coil can be lifted.

The bottom line, is that there is a lot more to leveling pins and tightening
coils than just doing that. The piano will need to be tuned several times
after that.

Willem