Christmas "overtime" premium?

Nancy McMillan nlm@csu.cted.net
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 07:57:13 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: David Renaud <studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 5:58 AM
Subject: Christmas "overtime" premium?

> Lets say your booked up too capacity and then some till Christmas.
> What is the consensus about charging a premium for short notice
> "emergency" tunings.
>
> For example:     Last week someone requests four
> concert tunings on 24 hrs notice. There are two grands to
> tune together twice for 4 hands concerts.  They are coming
> into town after sitting in a cold truck for a few days.
> They want them both done on the Friday and Saturday.
> Yes, they waited till Thursday to book a technician.
> I already have over 12hrs work both days, but it is possible
> and 5 min. from home. The usual people I call for help are busy.
> The client was insistent that they should get a discount for the
> second piano as usual, but I was insistent that I
> should not be doing it, but if they must have me I would charge
> my regular rate for each, no discounts.
> They reluctantly paid, but not without some tension.
> Worked out OK. Pianos were very nice. Easy tunings.
>
> So.
> In general is it wrong to charge extra for emergency overtime?
> Would most people walk away, avoiding creating ill will with an extra
> charge?
> How do you deal with promoters that order tunings like ordering pizza.
> I've heard of a technician charging $250 to go out on New Years Eve on a
> couple hours notice.
>
>                                 All opinions welcome
>                                 Cheers
>                                 Dave Renaud
>                                 RPT
>                                 Canada

Hi David,

If both your cars broke down (I'm assuming a two car family) at the same
time would the repair shop give you a break on fixing them?  Probably not.
Though the people who called for the concert tunings have no way of knowing
that you are going into "extra innings" on an already 12 hour day, you
deserve to get at least your normal fee for tuning two pianos.

Personally, I would have said I'm totally booked but if you want me to come
in at the crack of dawn or late at night it is going to be this much $'s.
And my price quoted would be more than my standard fee for two pianos.
Probably double.

Why should we be stressing ourselves out without due compensation
for someone else's forgetfulness in lining up a tech for a concert.

This sounds like I'm a hard butt, but I can't see knocking myself dead  and
not being awarded for it.  Then again, it's the holiday season and one might
be in a giving mood. :)

Have a happy.

Doug Mahard, Associate