bad scene

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart@juno.com
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:24:02 -0600

Hello List

	I was referred by a tech to a lady in northwest Houston, to tune her
rather nice looking Story & Clark grand.  I played a single note, and let
out a moan. Then, thinking I shouldn't be so negative, I stripped up the
piano, and proceeded to tune a note or three.  The "A-440" was high,
about three beats.  From there things got very bad, indeed.  Perhaps one
in three pins WAS tight enough to hold a pitch, the others a lost cause,
many notes being as far as a major sixth flat.  I showed the lady how I
pulled a note above pitch, got her to count the beats, then slowly
released the hammer. Beats slowed down, then sped up again.

	The music desk on this piano was on backward, using a piano hinge on its
"front edge" as its only support. The piano had been sprayed with lacquer
and rosewood stain, the plate sprayed gold.  This lady had answered an
ad, and upon arrival at the man's place of "businesss" was told the
original piano was not available, but he could let her have this one for
$2500.  He delivered it, then said he'd come back at a later time to tune
it...................  She's tried for a year to locate the guy, who,
according to another local, does this kind of thing regularly, then
changes location and phone number.

	I did suggest super-glue and driving pins might offer some hope for the
short-term, but asked if she had a friend who was a lawyer.  There still
is room  in my life for amazement at the depths to which some people will
sink to steal a dollar from innocent people.

les bartlett
houston