Non-regulatable dampers

Arlie D. Rauch adarpub@midrivers.com
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 07:07:53 -0700

List,

I recently serviced Wurlitzer console #2827167 which acted unlike
anything I've seen in over twenty years.

The bass dampers were not damping very well.  They stood off a bit
from the strings and were inconsistent from one to the other.  So I
regulated the spoons.  That was uneventful.

Then I regulated the damper heads individually, seemingly with good
results.  But after playing for a bit, the dampers returned to their
slightly aloof position.  I repeated the process, and again after
playing they returned to not damping.

My past experience has been that dampers stay where I put them.  Why
did these not stay?  I supposed it was possibly because the metal in
the wires was too soft to maintain the pressure.  But it could well
be something else.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Do you have a solution?

Arlie
Arlie D. Rauch
Glendive, MT

If you have nothing better to do, check out
http://members.tripod.com/~Turbooster/.  You'll be glad you did.