The temperament crusade continues

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 06:53:34 EST

Richard writes:
>Its tough when a misquote (I hope),  never the less conveys
> mis-information.
>
> The article said......
> <<The well temperament, he notes, "is what Beethoven grew up around, this
> is what Mozart lived in the middle of, this was the only tuning available
> until the late 1850s."   >>

    Yes,  I said and believe that, but would welcome evidence to the
contrary.  Actually, I thought that I had mentioned to the author that  it
seems that there was  meantone tuning that was still going of in the 18th and
19th century.  The Broadwood records seem to indicate that some tuners were
still tuning this way.

Richard again,
>hopefully this (below) is a glitch in "media translation", (an HTML fubar)

 <<The octave intrigued Pythagoras but didn't deafen him to other pleasing
> pairings of notes. He discovered, for instance, that a string divided so
> that one part is precisely 1112 times as long as the other also sounds
>a harmonious interval. That interval is known as the "perfect fifth.">>
>
> To hear a fifth on a monochord, divide the string into five parts, place
> the bridge at the 3rd division.   The three segments below the bridge
> sound the bottom note, the remaining two sound the "perfect" fifth above.

    That quote wasn't from me, but rather, from other sources that the author
used to prepare the article.  I was only given my paragraph or so to proof,
otherwise, I would have given a different description of what Pythagoras did.

    If any tech is given the opportunity to get an article published,  I
strongly advise that they make it clear from the beginning that they would
like to proofread the whole thing for errors.  Virtually every piece I have
seen in the media, concerning pianos, has at least one glaring ( to a tech)
error in it.  ah well,
Regards,
Ed Foote